Monday 10 June 2013

The limits of an affair

A. and I had a bit of a heart to heart over the weekend. I admitted to him that I was unable to be unemotional about our affair and that it felt completely different from any other affair I had ever had in the past. I told him that that fact scared me and that I did not know whether that was a good thing or a bad thing. 

I try to keep a safe distance from my lovers. I don't give too much of myself over to them. D. even says that I have a code of silence, where I will purposely prevent myself from revealing too much personal information in an attempt to avoid intimacy from being formed in the relationship. I tend to keep things pretty straightforward and simple. I don't give out my phone number or my full name. I don't talk about my husband or my marriage. I keep email communication centered around the topic of sex and fantasies of what we wish to do to each other during the next encounter. I don't text and I don't call and I don't even email every day. I see J. every two weeks and the others only once in a while when it is convenient and careful for me to do so. I am a planner and do not act on a whim. I am very guarded and protective of my heart. I feel that as long as I keep things simple and unemotional, I will be able to handle everything with limited risk. 

Since A. has come into my life, everything has been turned upside down. A. is warm and loving. He makes me feel cared for. I am breaking all the rules in this affair. We have been meeting every week for entire days. We share meals together and spend time talking and driving around. We want to go on dates and sit across from each other having dinner. We talk on the phone and we text every day. When I told him that I was unable to keep myself detached from this affair, he said that he hoped that I would never be able to. When I told him that I felt more with him than with any other, he didn't get scared, instead, he loved it. When I said that I was scared about this, he answered that he would never hurt me and would protect me from any potential negative consequences of our affair. He said that despite the obvious limits imposed on our relationship, he didn't see why, within those limits, our relationship couldn't be unlimited. 

Is he trying to make me fall in love with him?

No comments:

Post a Comment