Thursday 17 October 2013

Lunch date

A. and I have developped a routine of sorts. I work quite far outside the city and so I spend a fair amount of time driving in the morning and in the evening. A. drops his daughter to school, most days, quite early and while we are both in transit, we like to start the day with a morning call. This early ritual has been broken recently since A's wife has been home on sick leave from work. Last night, I got bad news on the phone and I emailed A. about it since we share mostly everything about our lives with one another. This morning, I woke up without a reply and although I knew that there must have been a good reason for him not to contact me in the evening and in the early morning, it still stung a little and felt a little insensitive. I went about my day, working and keeping busy when A. texted me asking if I could call him for five seconds. I called and he said that if I was available, he was on his way and was taking me out to lunch. Now, I work quite out of the way from anywhere that A. would possibly need to be today in order to get any work done. He said that seeing my email and knowing that I was having a bad day made him really want to see me. I was so touched by the gesture and when he picked me up from work, I was giddy with excitement. Being in a different town also meant that we could go out to lunch in public without constantly being paranoid that someone we knew would catch us. We sat across from each other, talking and holding hands for a good hour and a half and it felt so normal and so wonderful. As we sat at that table, looking into each other's eyes, flirting and enjoying every minute, we started to talk about us, which is something we do quite often. 

We discussed how deep our feelings were and how they seemed to intensify with each passing day. I asked him:

Olivia:
You once said that you would never ever leave your wife for another woman. Is that statement still valid?

A:

He hesitated and looked deeply into my eyes and said: Yes....that statement is still valid. 

Olivia:

Good. I need to hear that. You know, I rely on you a lot....because you are older and wiser, I listen to what you say and feel like you must be right. Like when you say that we are perfect just as we are, that we are only this good because we are in other relationships...I hold on to that and trust that to be true and it helps me cope. 

A:

It was months ago that I said that.....

Olivia:
But it is still valid...right?

A:.......

Olivia:

If we were both separated tomorrow....would we.....

A:
I think...somehow....we would find a way....we would.....yes. 

Olivia:
Would you have babies with me?

A:
He looked down at the table and got emotional and replied: You know I would...

No comments:

Post a Comment